Although I love baking, sometimes when it’s extremely hot outside the last thing I want to do is use my oven. Now I know that cake pops usually don’t require any baking as you only mix dough with buttercream, however I am not the biggest fan of the ‘uncooked’ texture and taste.
When my boyfriend was over last week, we decided to try out my new cake pops mould to make some white chocolate strawberry crunch cake pops with fresh blueberries. Here are my tips and tricks to make gorgeous summery cake pops using a cake mould.
1. CAKE MOULD: Pick your favourite cake pop shapes. I got this cake mould as a present and I love the different shapes it offers. I can choose between balls, hearts, stars and tiny cupcakes.
2. FILLING: Using your favourite cake recipe or the recipe that comes with the cake mold fill the half that doesn’t have the holes and then close it.
TIP: Don’t use fresh berries like I did, as it might result in soft spots or even holes which will then be impossible to cover in chocolate.
3. BORDERS: When finished baking, put the little cakes into the fridge for a few hours until completely cool, then cut off the excess borders.
4. CHOCOLATE: I used one of my favourite chocolates, white chocolate with crunchy strawberry bits. It gives the cake pops an amazing texture. Cut your chocolate into small pieces and carefully melt it over low heat.
TIP: Be aware when using chocolate which isn’t specifically designed for melting or decorating, you will end up with a thicker consistency which you cannot dip your cake pops into as they would break or fall off.
5. STICKS: Now dip the ends of your sticks into the chocolate and stick them into your cake pops. Again, put them in the fridge to cool, the chocolate will harden and serve as a glue.
TIP: If you don’t like the plastic look of lollipop sticks, you can use wooden BBQ skewers instead. They will give your cake pops a more rustic look.
6. DECORATION: Decorate your cake pops to your liking. I chose a more rough, spiky, flowery design as I tried to achieve a nice rustic summery look. Finally stick your covered cake pops into a block of styrofoam so they stay upright and put them into the fridge to harden.
7. PRESENTATION: Finally present your finished cake pops to your liking. I can guarantee everyone will love them. Enjoy!